Are any firmware updates available for my camera?
Use the Update Camera function in the OLYMPUS Master software packaged with your digital camera to find out whether firmware updates are available for your model. An Internet connection is required to perform the operation.
For detailed instructions on how to update the camera's firmware, click here.
Note: If multiple firmware updates are available for your model, it may not always be possible to update directly from the current firmware version in your camera to the latest available version. In such cases, updates must be applied in stages. For this reason, it is recommended that, after updating the camera firmware, you immediately check again for additional updates. Simply repeat the update procedure to apply subsequent updates.
How can I download images and movies from the camera to a computer?
The simplest method is to use OLYMPUS Master software to transfer the files.
This model ships with OLYMPUS Master version 1. Complete instructions for transferring files using this version may be downloaded by clicking here.
This model also supports OLYMPUS Master 2. Complete instructions for transferring files using OLYMPUS Master 2 may be downloaded by clicking here.
To request a free download of OLYMPUS Master 2, click here. It is not necessary to uninstall OLYMPUS Master version 1 before installing and using OLYMPUS Master 2.
Note: Adobe Reader® software is required to view PDF files. It is available as a free download from Adobe's web site. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
How long can I stay underwater with my Stylus 725 SW?
The waterproof feature of the Stylus 725 SW is warranted to operate at depths down to 5 meters (16 feet) for up to one hour. The waterproof feature may be compromised if the camera is subjected to substantial or excessive impact.
Note that accessories included with this model, such as the battery charger, are not waterproof. Please be sure to carefully lock the battery/card compartment cover and connector cover before submerging the camera.
How many images can the Stylus 725 SW hold?
The chart below shows the approximate number of pictures at each available quality mode that the Stylus 725 SW can hold in its internal memory and in a variety of optional xD-Picture Cards. The camera can store pictures and movies in any combination of quality modes. All figures are approximate.
|Number of storable images|
||3072 x 2304
||3072 x 2304
||2560 x 1920
|2304 x 1728
|2048 x 1536
||1600 x 1200
|1280 x 960
|1024 x 768
|640 x 480
How many movies can the Stylus 725 SW hold?
The chart below shows approximately how much movie recording time at each quality mode the Stylus 725 SW can store in its internal memory and on a variety of optional xD-Picture Cards. The camera can store pictures and movies in any combination of quality modes. All figures are approximate.
|Recording length (h:mm:ss)|
(15 frames per second)
||640 x 480
||320 x 240
||160 x 120
How do I update the camera's firmware?
Click here for detailed instructions.
How can I maintain the waterproof capability of the camera?
The Stylus 725 SW loses its waterproof capability if the battery/card compartment cover or the connector cover is open. Before using the camera, make sure that all the covers are closed firmly so that each lock makes a clicking sound. Do not open the battery compartment cover or the connector cover with wet hands, while underwater, or in a damp or dusty environment (e.g. the beach).
In addition, take the following care precautions when using your camera:
- Follow all recommended care and maintenance instructions in the product manual.
- After using the camera in an environment where it may be exposed to dirt, dust or sand, wash the camera using the following method:
- Fill a bucket with fresh water, immerse the camera in the bucket with the lens surface downward and shake the camera thoroughly.
- Press the power button several times in the water and close/open the lens cover repeatedly.
- Shake the camera further with the lens cover opened.
- Let the camera air dry in the shade with good ventilation.
- Do not leave the camera in water for a prolonged period. Doing so can damage the camera's appearance and/or deteriorate water resistance.
- Do not pour running water over the camera directly from a water faucet. Doing so can deteriorate the camera's water resistance.
- Do not use chemicals for cleaning, rust prevention, anti-fogging, repair, etc. Doing so can deteriorate the camera's water resistance.
- Do not leave the camera in an environment at high temperature (104° F / 40° C or greater) or very low temperature (14° F / -10° C or lower). Doing so may break down water resistance.
- Do not apply excessive force to or attempt to peel off the rubber backing of the battery compartment cover or the connector cover.
- If the rubber backing becomes worn or damaged, contact the nearest Olympus service center. (A charge will be assessed for replacement of parts.)
- Olympus recommends replacing the waterproof packing and seals annually.
- If the rubber packing of the battery compartment cover or the connector cover contains dirt or sand, wipe it off before closing the cover; otherwise, water may get inside the camera.
How do I charge the lithium-ion battery?
Load the LI-42B battery into the LI-40C Lithium-ion Battery Charger bundled with the camera. Be sure to align the arrow on the battery with the arrow on the charger, as shown in Fig. A.
When the battery is properly inserted into the charger, the red charge indicator light will be lit. The light will turn off when the battery is fully charged. The approximate charging time is five hours.
Note: Olympus digital cameras monitor their own power consumption and display a battery level warning icon on the LCD monitor, in both shooting and playback modes, to alert the photographer as power wanes. Fig. B, below, shows the icon that is displayed when a fully charged battery is loaded. Fig. C is displayed when the battery power is low.
When the Low Battery icon is displayed, recharge the battery.
Is the lithium-ion battery fully charged out of the box or should I charge it before using it in my camera?
Charge the battery before using it in the camera. Please see "How do I charge the lithium-ion battery?"
The camera no longer powers on. What could be wrong?
The battery may be dead or underpowered.
If the battery is completely drained, the camera will not power on when the Power button is pressed. If the battery is nearly drained, the camera may briefly display a Battery Empty error message and then power off, or it may power on and then quickly power off without displaying the error. In either case, charge the battery using the LI-40C battery charger bundled with the camera.
Be sure to properly align the arrow on the bundled battery with the arrow on the bundled battery charger. It is possible to force the battery into the charger so that the arrows are not aligned. This is an improper orientation, and the battery will not be charged. For instructions on how to properly inset the battery into the charger, please see "How do I charge the lithium-ion battery?"