Can I use this camera in salt water?
Yes. The camera body employs the same sealant technology as Olympus’ underwater housings. Olympus warrants the operation of this model at depths of up to 10 feet (3 meters) for up to one hour.
As with any electronic device, proper care and maintenance are required to preserve the integrity and operation of this camera. After using the camera in salt water, immerse it in a bucket of fresh water for about 10 minutes. (Be sure the battery compartment/card cover and connector cover are firmly sealed!) Then let the camera air dry in the shade with good ventilation. Be sure to wipe off any excess water or debris before and after each use.
Will the camera get rusty if I use it in salt water?
The camera will get rusty if you leave it for a long time without care after using it in salt water.
After the camera is used in the sea, take the following care precautions to preserve the waterproof capability:
- Close the battery/card compartment cover and connector cover firmly.
- Immerse the camera in a bucket containing fresh water for about 10 minutes.
- Dry the camera with a soft towel, and keep it in the shade with good ventilation.
Can I use this camera in hot springs?
No. The sulfur component in the hot springs will deteriorate the waterproof packing material of the camera. Even if the camera is washed after use, the sulfur component will remain on the camera.
Can I use the camera in any liquid other than water (e.g. oil or chemical liquids)?
No. Oil and other chemical liquids will damage the camera. Use the camera only in water.
How long can I stay underwater with my camera?
The waterproof feature of this camera is warranted to operate at depths down to 10 feet (3 meters) for up to one hour. The waterproof feature may be compromised if the camera is subjected to substantial or excessive impact.
Note that accessories compatible with this model, such as the battery charger, are not waterproof. Please be sure to carefully lock the battery/card compartment cover and connector cover before submerging the camera.
Does the camera float or sink in water?
The camera sinks.
How can I maintain the waterproof capability of the camera?
The STYLUS TOUGH-6000 loses its waterproof capability if the battery/card compartment cover or the connector cover is open. Before using the camera, make sure that all the covers are closed firmly so that each lock makes a clicking sound. Do not open the battery compartment cover or the connector cover with wet hands, while underwater, or in a damp or dusty environment (e.g. the beach).
In addition, take the following care precautions when using your camera:
- Follow all recommended care and maintenance instructions in the product manual.
- After using the camera in an environment where it may be exposed to dirt, dust or sand, wash the camera using the following method:
- Fill a bucket with fresh water, immerse the camera in the bucket with the lens surface downward and shake the camera thoroughly.
- Press the power button several times in the water and close/open the lens cover repeatedly.
- Shake the camera further with the lens cover opened.
- Let the camera air dry in the shade with good ventilation.
- Do not leave the camera in water for a prolonged period. Doing so can damage the camera's appearance and/or deteriorate water resistance.
- Do not pour running water over the camera directly from a water faucet. Doing so can deteriorate the camera's water resistance.
- Do not use chemicals for cleaning, rust prevention, anti-fogging, repair, etc. Doing so can deteriorate the camera's water resistance.
- Do not leave the camera in an environment at high temperature (104° F / 40° C or greater) or very low temperature (14° F / -10° C or lower). Doing so may break down water resistance.
- Do not apply excessive force to or attempt to peel off the rubber backing of the battery compartment cover or the connector cover.
- If the rubber backing becomes worn or damaged, contact the nearest Olympus service center. (A charge will be assessed for replacement of parts.)
- Olympus recommends replacing the waterproof packing and seals annually.
- If the rubber packing of the battery compartment cover or the connector cover contains dirt or sand, wipe it off before closing the cover; otherwise, water may get inside the camera.
Can I change the battery or memory card while under water?
No. The waterproof capability of the camera will be compromised if the battery/card compartment cover or connector cover is opened while the camera is under water. Opening either door while the camera is submerged will flood the camera, cause extensive damage to the camera and/or memory card, and void Olympus' warranties.
It may not be possible to retrieve images from a memory card that has been exposed to water.