This camera is described as "waterproof." How does Olympus define "waterproof?"
The waterproof capability of the camera is equivalent to JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) class 8. The waterproof performance is confirmed by Olympus' testing conditions.
Can I use this camera in salt water?
Yes. The camera body employs the same sealant technology as Olympus’ underwater housings. Olympus warrants the operation of this model at depths of up to 33 feet (10 meters) for up to one hour.
As with any electronic device, proper care and maintenance are required to preserve the integrity and operation of this camera. After using the camera in salt water, immerse it in a bucket of fresh water for about 10 minutes. (Be sure the battery compartment/card cover and connector cover are firmly sealed!) Then let the camera air dry in the shade with good ventilation. Be sure to wipe off any excess water or debris before and after each use.
Will the camera get rusty if I use it in salt water?
The camera will get rusty if you leave it for a long time without care after using it in salt water.
After the camera is used in the sea, take the following care precautions to preserve the waterproof capability:
- Close the battery/card compartment cover and connector cover firmly.
- Immerse the camera in a bucket containing fresh water for about 10 minutes.
- Dry the camera with a soft towel, and keep it in the shade with good ventilation.
Can I use the camera in hot springs?
No. The sulfur component in the hot springs will deteriorate the waterproof packing material of the camera. Even if the camera is washed after use, the sulfur component will remain on the camera.
Can I use the camera in any liquid other than water (e.g. oil or chemical liquids)?
No. Oil and other chemical liquids will damage the camera. Use the camera only in water.
How long can I stay underwater with my camera?
The waterproof feature of this camera is warranted to operate at depths down to 10 meters (33 feet) for up to one hour. The waterproof feature may be compromised if the camera is subjected to substantial or excessive impact.
Note that accessories included with this model, such as the battery charger, are not waterproof. Please be sure to carefully lock the battery/card compartment cover and connector cover before submerging the camera.
Does the camera float or sink in water?
The camera sinks.
How can I maintain the waterproof capability of the camera?
The STYLUS TOUGH-8000 loses its waterproof capability if the battery/card compartment cover or the connector cover is open. Before using the camera, make sure that all the covers are closed firmly so that each lock makes a clicking sound. Do not open the battery compartment cover or the connector cover with wet hands, while underwater, or in a damp or dusty environment (e.g. the beach).
In addition, take the following care precautions when using your camera:
- Follow all recommended care and maintenance instructions in the product manual.
- After using the camera in an environment where it may be exposed to dirt, dust or sand, wash the camera using the following method:
- Fill a bucket with fresh water, immerse the camera in the bucket with the lens surface downward and shake the camera thoroughly.
- Press the power button several times in the water and close/open the lens cover repeatedly.
- Shake the camera further with the lens cover opened.
- Let the camera air dry in the shade with good ventilation.
- Do not leave the camera in water for a prolonged period. Doing so can damage the camera's appearance and/or deteriorate water resistance.
- Do not pour running water over the camera directly from a water faucet. Doing so can deteriorate the camera's water resistance.
- Do not use chemicals for cleaning, rust prevention, anti-fogging, repair, etc. Doing so can deteriorate the camera's water resistance.
- Do not leave the camera in an environment at high temperature (104° F / 40° C or greater) or very low temperature (14° F / -10° C or lower). Doing so may break down water resistance.
- Do not apply excessive force to or attempt to peel off the rubber backing of the battery compartment cover or the connector cover.
- If the rubber backing becomes worn or damaged, contact the nearest Olympus service center. (A charge will be assessed for replacement of parts.)
- Olympus recommends replacing the waterproof packing and seals annually.
- If the rubber packing of the battery compartment cover or the connector cover contains dirt or sand, wipe it off before closing the cover; otherwise, water may get inside the camera.
Can I change the battery or memory card while under water?
No. The waterproof capability of the camera will be compromised if the battery/card compartment cover or connector cover is opened while the camera is under water. Opening either door while the camera is submerged will flood the camera, cause extensive damage to the camera and/or memory card, and void Olympus' warranties.
It may not be possible to retrieve images from a memory card that has been exposed to water.
Must I charge the bundled Li-50B lithium-ion battery before I use the camera?
Yes. The rechargeable battery is not fully charged at the time of purchase. Before using the camera, charge the battery until the orange charging indicator light next to the mode dial turns blue.
How do I recharge the Li-50B lithium battery bundled with the camera?
There are three options:
- While the battery is in the camera, connect the camera to an AC outlet using the bundled F-1AC charger. While charging, the charging indicator light (beside the mode dial) will be orange. When charging is completed, the charging indicator will turn blue. When connected this way, the charging time will be approximately 2.5 hours.
NOTE: The bundled F-1AC charger has been designed to be used only for charging the bundled Li-50B battery. It is not designed to power the STYLUS TOUGH-8000. Do not use the camera while the F-1AC adapter is connected to it.
- Remove the battery, and charge it using the Li-50C external battery charger (sold separately).
- While the battery is in the STYLUS TOUGH-8000, connect the camera to a computer using its bundled USB cable. The USB menu will be displayed on the camera's LCD. Using the up and down arrows on the camera's keypad, select one of the following options:
- PC: Select if you wish to download images to the computer while the battery is being charged.
- EXIT: Select if you do not wish to transfer files.
- Press the [OK/MENU] button. The charging indicator light will turn on (orange). The computer will continue to charge the battery as long as the USB cable is connected -- even if the REMOVE USB CABLE message is displayed. Therefore, be sure to remove the USB cable after the battery is fully charged (the charging indicator light will be blue).
Note: Not all USB ports can be used to charge the STYLUS TOUGH-8000. Older computers may not supply all USB ports with enough electrical current to charge a digital camera. Some USB ports only have enough current to power low-consumption peripherals such as keyboards. Therefore, Olympus recommends using a USB port on the rear of the computer, if available, rather than, for example, ports on the front or side of a computer or those on an external USB hub. Charging time will vary depending on the performance of the computer and may be longer than when charging using the bundled F-1AC charger. There may be cases in which it takes approximately 10 hours to fully charge the battery.
May I use the bundled F-1AC adapter to charge my other Olympus batteries?
The F-1AC adapter is designed to be used only with the STYLUS TOUGH-8000. Other cameras cannot use this adapter to charge their batteries.
I bought a spare Li-50B battery for my STYLUS TOUGH-8000. Does Olympus offer a battery charger so I can keep shooting
Yes. The Li-50C battery charger (Item #202165) is available from authorized Olympus dealers and can also be purchased directly from Olympus via its online store. To buy the Li-50C battery charger from The Olympus Store, click here.